- The enemy – Opposed to family values - The GLBT community is a threat.
- The Christian world has been extremely Judgemental of the GLBT community and their belief is that Homosexuality = immorality/promiscuity.
- The Christian world makes Accusations about the GLBT community
- The Christian world feeds on misinformation about the GLBT community. Figures quoted in many books about gay men’s activities go back to the 1950’s and before the AIDS epidemic. Paul Cameron’s work is often quoted on gay men’s sexual habits, life spans, links with paedophilia, crime, murder and STD’s. Even though his work has been discredited it is frequently quoted in Christian books and on right wing conservative websites that keep the myth alive.
- Stereotyping – terms like ‘the gay lifestyle’ & ‘the homosexual lifestyle’ reflect an ignorance of the huge diversity in the GLBT community and the normal/ordinary lives many of us live. Other stereotyping includes: All lesbians are man hating feminists, All gay men are fairies, all lesbians are butch tomboys.
- The Christian world has often Demonised the GLBT community as evil, perverted, sick.
- Conspiracy theories about the GLBT community abound in the Christian World and literature. We often hear terms like “The Gay Agenda”, “The Homosexual Agenda”. Apparently this is some secret plot by the GLBT community to undermine fabric of society, destroy marriage, convert children, recruit young people through the education system.In 2005 James Dobson, director of Focus on the Family, described the homosexual agenda as follows: “Those goals include universal acceptance of the gay lifestyle, discrediting of scriptures that condemn homosexuality, muzzling of the clergy and Christian media, granting of special privileges and rights in the law, overturning laws prohibiting paedophilia, indoctrinating children and future generations through public education, and securing all the legal benefits of marriage for any two or more people who claim to have homosexual tendencies.”
- The Christian Church usually only has One way communication – with the GLBT community by preaching, media comment. When did anyone really sit down and listen?
- The end result…….. Conflict.
- Fellow human beings on a journey of learning. Every human being can teach us something
- We agree that we will always treat each other respectfully. Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself
- We will endeavour to always act with Integrity. Allowing each person to live in harmony with their personal values and always be willing to be open and honest with each other
- Be willing to engage in Dialogue. This often involves spending time developing a relationship of trust.
- The end result will be Resolution
- It's vital that we come into this space without agendas to convert. I've learned the hard way that when I entered into dialogue with someone and had a strong agenda then it brought the wrong energy into the communication. When I sensed the other person had a strong agenda it tended to make me defensive. The end result seem to move back into the other space of conflict.
...and by living in this new space all those other things disappear....which means it will be ....
These are brief notes of the presentation. When presenting the concept to churches, leaders and pastors I am able to explore this in more depth.